Why learn about finance?
Finance is the language of business. Understanding how financial performance is measured is crucial in order to make informed decisions. Everyone needs a basic understanding, whether you want to progress in your career, start your own company or simply understand the world of business around you.
"People looking at starting careers in finance will find Accounting Intuition's course very useful in determining if they have the financial acumen to cut it in the world of finance and business."
Learn through experience
Most accounting courses involve an onslaught of technical jargon, financial statements and complex rules to remember; people get overwhelmed with information. We believe that this conventional way of teaching the subject is completely ineffective.
The best way to learn is through genuine understanding and experience. That’s why we've developed visual, interactive models that explain accounting transactions and balances using the analogy of water pipes and tanks and let you develop an intuitive understanding of how accounting works as a simple, connected system. Watch the video to see the models in action.
Our course is entirely online and the principles-based approach is relevant for people in all accounting jurisdictions.
Learn through visual, dynamic financial models that remain in the mind’s eye & memory long afterwards.
Use business simulation models to understand how companies fit together and manage real business scenarios.
Videos, exercises and quizzes on each bite-size topic are integrated in a seamless learning path
Principles of Accounting
The Principles of Accounting course assumes no prior knowledge and gradually introduces all the building blocks of accounting such as revenue, costs, assets, equity, liabilities and double-entry bookkeeping through a series of ground-breaking business simulation models. Explore financial statements, manage working capital and understand how profit & loss, cashflow and the balance sheet are all connected.
This is accounting made simple and visual. We use pictures and models to explain concepts, rather than confusing spreadsheets and T-accounts. The course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and is used by leading universities to prepare their students for MBAs and Accounting degrees.
Whether you are completely new to finance, have never quite felt comfortable with how accounting works or simply want an engaging refresher, learn accounting online with us to gain a lifelong, intuitive understanding.
Accredited learning from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
Learn anywhere, anytime using groundbreaking business simulation models, case study videos, integrated exercises and topic quizzes
Self-paced online study, typically between 4 - 8 hours
Who should take this course?
- Non-financial managers - progress your career by broadening your skill-set and learning how finance works
- Aspiring accountants - develop a sound conceptual understanding to decide if you want to become an accountant
- Entrepreneurs and small-business owners - understand how your accounts work and the importance of working capital management
- Professional services providers - you must have a sound understanding of accounting to interpret financial information effectively
- Accountants - fulfil continuous professional development requirements and gain a different perspective through engaging training
- Students - get help with your studies and improve your results and your job prospects
- The Accrual Principle
- Accounting Transactions: Revenue, Costs, Cash Receipts & Payments
- Accounting Balances: Assets, Liabilities & Equity
- Debits, Credits and the Fundamental Accounting Equation
- Working Capital and The Operating Cycle (Cash Conversion Cycle)
- Financial Statements and Profitability Analysis
- How are Profit, Assets and Cashflow linked?
- Fixed Assets and Depreciation
- Intangible Assets and Amortisation
- Funding Sources: Equity and Debt
Having completed the course, you will be able to:
- Explain how accounting works
- Evaluate accounting transactions and balances and how they interact through debits and credits
- Explain how the accrual principle creates a fundamental difference between profit and cashflow
- Describe how profit, cashflow and the balance sheet are all connected
- Interpret and analyse key financial statements
- Analyse the Fundamental Accounting Equation and explain its consequences
- Calculate profitability ratios and explore their implications
- Manage cashflow and working capital by exploring the operating cycle
- Account for fixed assets and depreciation
- Explain the issues with intangible asset accounting
- Evaluate the funding options available to companies
The course is hosted and supported by our learning partner, Alison, on their website https://alison.com/
Together we believe in empowering people and the vision of free education for all.
After successfully completing the course, if you wish you can choose to purchase a certificate to demonstrate your achievement.
“People looking at starting careers in finance will find this course very useful in determining if they have the financial acumen to cut it in the world of finance and business.”
Charles Tilley, Executive Chairman of the CGMA Research Foundation, AICPA
“This is an excellent way to understand how business really works.”
Richard Barker, Professor of Accounting, Saïd Business School