This online finance course contains everything that most people need to know about accounting. If you want to develop a strong conceptual understanding of how accounting really works in just a few hours, this course is for you.
Rather than launching straight into financial statements and a barrage of new terminology, the course starts by introducing a simple analogy of water pipes and tanks that neatly explains how accounting transactions and balances work. Check out the video clip to see this in action.
“This is an excellent way to understand how business really works.”
Richard Barker, Professor of Accounting, Saïd Business School
“People looking at starting careers in finance will find this course very useful in determining if they have the financial acumen to cut it in the world of finance and business.”
Charles Tilley, Executive Chairman of the CGMA Research Foundation, AICPA
The Basic Accounting course assumes no prior knowledge and gradually introduces all the building blocks of accounting such as revenue, costs, assets, equity, liabilities and double-entry bookkeeping through a series of ground-breaking business simulation models. It explores financial statements and working capital and it reveals how profit & loss, cashflow and the balance sheet are all connected.
This is accounting made simple and visual. We use pictures and models to explain concepts, rather than confusing spreadsheets and T-accounts. Basic Accounting is certified by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and is now used by leading universities to prepare their students for MBAs and Accounting degrees. Whether you are completely new to finance, have never quite felt comfortable with how accounting works or simply want an engaging refresher, learn accounting online with us to gain a lifelong, intuitive understanding.
Accredited learning from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
Learn anywhere, anytime using groundbreaking business simulation models, case study videos, integrated exercises and topic quizzes
Self-paced online study, typically between 4 - 8 hours
Who should take this course?
- Non-financial managers - progress your career by broadening your skill-set and learning how finance works
- Aspiring accountants - develop a sound conceptual understanding to decide if you want to become an accountant
- Entrepreneurs and small-business owners - understand how your accounts work and the importance of working capital management
- Professional services providers - you must have a sound understanding of accounting to interpret financial information effectively
- Accountants - fulfil continuous professional development requirements and gain a different perspective through engaging training
- Students - get help with your studies and improve your results and your job prospects
- The Accrual Principle
- Revenue & Costs
- Financial Statements
- The difference between Profit and Cashflow
- Assets, Liabilities & Equity
- Fundamental Accounting Equation
- Debits and Credits
- Working Capital
- The Operating Cycle (Cash Conversion Cycle)
- Profitability Analysis
- Case Studies
At the end of the course, you will:
- Have an intuitive understanding of how accounting actually works
- Be confident with financial principles, statements and terminology
- Understand the hidden relationship between cashflow, profit and the balance sheet
- Appreciate why cashflow is so important and learn how to manage it effectively
- Understand how a business fits together, and how operational decisions affect financial outcomes
If you wish, after completing this course you can progress to the next course - Business & Accounting Dynamics - and take an online assessment to gain the CIMA Certificate in Business & Accounting Dynamics.
This qualification is designed to combine core topics in accounting, business and economics. The aim is to equip students with a strong conceptual understanding of these crucial topics and to understand some of the practical challenges of operating businesses successfully.
Our courses are entirely online and the principle-based approach is relevant for people in all accounting jurisdictions.
Learn through visual, dynamic financial models that remain in the mind’s eye & memory long afterwards.
Use business simulation models to understand how companies fit together and manage real business scenarios.
Videos, exercises and quizzes on each bite-size topic are integrated in a seamless learning path